In honour of the new season of the Great British Bake Off starting last week, I put together a tongue-in-cheek list of 5 ways the STP and the bake-off are basically the same process. Read on to find out how.
- Selection is very competitive. Very much like the bake-off, if you make it on to the program you’ve already done pretty well.
- On the bake-off, the signature bake is a chance for the bakers to show off a bit of their personality in their bakes. In the STP, there are plenty of opportunities to put your personality into your work and do the things that you want to do.
- Similar to the technical bake, there are probably going to be a lot of occasions where you’re going in blind to a competency with no prior knowledge of how to complete the task. Trust that you have all the ingredients you need to be successful and there’s probably an SOP for it somewhere. You’ll figure it out.
- There will also be several occasions where things don’t quite go to plan. Unlike the bake-off, this won’t lead to elimination from the program, but you do need to keep a cool head, re-assess and try again.
- The OSFAs at the end of the STP are akin to the showstopper bake- an opportunity to show of all your skills!